West Gippsland Libraries offer a Home Library Service which enables our volunteers and staff to build and maintain connections with our community members who may not be able to come into their local library.
As well as a wide selection of books (large print and standard print), magazines, DVDs, and audio-books; we offer e-audiobooks, e-books, e-magazines and many accessible online programs and events.
We recognise that our loyal customers like to have choice and that we can help you learn about e-resources.
We also understand that sometimes it’s nice to browse and read a physical item such as a glossy magazine, new novel, or a fresh new biography. We offer delivery of library materials to people who may be physically unable to visit their library due to illness, injury or because you may be caring for someone else.
The service can be temporary or ongoing. It works like this:
- We talk to recipients and register their interest for Home Library Service. We can talk to a family member if that is easier. During Covid-19, this may happen over the phone.
- Recipients must be members of West Gippsland Libraries – this is easy to arrange if you are not a member yet.
- We talk to you about:
- What you like to read
- How many things you may like to receive
- If you wish to choose specific titles or authors
- If you would be happy to get a selection of items to browse through
- If you would like to know about how to access our amazing e-resources
- We also like to find out a little about what makes you tick! What are your interests and hobbies?
- We need an easy form filled in, which gives us permission to visit you to deliver materials.
- If there’s an available volunteer in your community to visit – we match you up and offer a friendly and personal service.
- If we don’t have an available volunteer straight away – we take down all your contact details anyway – and let you know as soon as we can if we can match you up.
- We also have a ‘Book Box’ postal service if you may prefer that at anytime.
- During Covid-19, we won’t come into your home. We can talk to you outside, and we can leave your package in a safe place at the front of your home. Our team won’t accept refreshments from you, but we really appreciate the offer! Our team are trained in covid-safe methods. We will physically distance, ensure we have clean hands and equipment, and our volunteers won’t attend if they feel at all unwell. We ask you to please let us know if you are not well too.
- The Health & Safety of our volunteers and staff is very important to us. When we visit, we will make sure that everything is safe for our team and for you. We love dogs, but we ask that your dog is secured during any visits from volunteers or team members.
- Our volunteers and staff all have current police checks and Working with children checks.
- Our team will select your items for you, and you will be contacted to arrange for delivery of your items, and for our team member to collect the materials you’ve finished with.
- You can borrow items for up to 6 weeks, and if you need to keep things longer for any reason, talk to us and we will work it out.
- Aged Care and other residential services are also welcome to join West Gippsland Libraries as an institutional member, and we can provide a bulk delivery of items.
Keen to find out more?
Interested in becoming a volunteer? Ask your local library team members (see Library locations and hours) or send us an online enquiry below.