Volunteering at your library
- Supporting West Gippsland Libraries
- Enhancing capacity for our community
- Promoting and sharing our values
At West Gippsland Libraries, we are committed to building a positive volunteer culture across our organisation. We look forward to working in partnership with our volunteers and our Library staff team to achieve common goals. Volunteers work alongside our paid employees in complementary roles, and help us to extend our reach and support our communities. We support the ‘National Standards for Volunteer Involvement’ which remind us that:
‘Volunteer involvement is a critical part of Australian society. It contributes to civil society and active participation in building strong, inclusive, and resilient communities…’ (National Standards for Volunteer Involvement, 2015)
Volunteers can play an important role within our libraries and we aim to provide meaningful work and an inclusive, fair and welcoming experience. Our volunteer involvement includes:
- Full recruitment, induction and training
- A clear role description
- A Volunteer Agreement process
- Support and supervision
- Relationship building with our Staff team members
- Recognition and Celebration of your volunteering journey with us!
We think creatively about engaging volunteers, and opportunities may exist for:
- Program support: supporting our employees to prepare and deliver high-quality library programs for all ages
- Branch support: assisting with library presentation and helping our team keep our libraries pleasant and welcoming for everyone
- Skilled Volunteers: Skilled volunteers may be able to assist with provision of services, programs and activities that support our Vision and Mission.
Home Library Service
- We are planning a brand new Home Library Service, to commence in 2021. (see Home Library Service)
- Our Home Library service will support our community members who may not be able to come into their library due to illness, injury, mobility and access issues, or they may be caring for someone else. We keep an open mind about why people may need this special service.
- Volunteers can help with selecting materials and delivering them to people. It’s a great chance to help someone in your community maintain their relationship with their library, and to engage with a client about their reading needs and desires.
Keen to find out more?
Interested in becoming a volunteer? Ask your local library team members (see Library locations and hours) or send us an online enquiry below.